Week 2 Video and
Reading Reflection
In looking back at week 2, it seemed
like a lot to absorb. I wonder how much
will stay in my head. I am glad that we
have videos in addition to our readings.
To be honest, I have a hard time reading tons of material, and because I
am not a text only learner, I really have to try 3 times as hard as the next
person to make myself sit and read.
One of the first videos that I watched
dealt with learning diversity. The video
said at one point that our 21st century classes are now filled with
learners from all learning backgrounds, but haven’t many of these learners been
there all along? I was one of those people who needed information in a
different way, and I don’t recall not being among the rest of my classmates. It
does seem that there are many new techniques to help students who learn
differently.
The Brain research video was very
interesting because it showed how different parts of the brain help us learn. I think that it tied in with the learning
diversity video in that it seems to explain how we all learn, or need different
ways of learning.
I also became acquainted with UDL in learning. I realized that I have been exposed to the
fundamental ideology of UDL in marketing and architecture. I was impressed how UDL in learning creates
an environment where everyone can learn.
In looking over the readings for week 2, I was the most interested
in the reading from cast.org. A segment in chapter 1 grabbed my attention which
stated “in contrast, more recent theories, such as Multiple Intelligences theory
(see Gardner, 1993), are consistent with what we are now discovering about the
learning brain-namely that students do not have one global learning capacity,
but many multifaceted learning capacities, and that a disability or
challenge in one area may be countered by extraordinary ability in another”
("Education in the Digital Age," n.d.).
Before the advent of modern classroom technologies that now
accommodate different learning styles, many us that were not text only learners
had difficulties learning, and therefore did not reach our full
potential. I personally like the fact that 21st century
learning is so diverse and offers so many different ways to receive information
through the use of videos, interactive websites, not to mention the use of
mobile devices. In a strange way, I am almost glad that I waited to continue my
education because of the access to new learning tools. I know that it has
made my life much easier, and I am sure that I am not the only one.
References
The Opportunity: New Brain Research and New Technologies.
(n.d.). Retrieved from
http://www.cast.org/teachingeverystudent/ideas/tes/chapter1_3.cfm
EDLD 5364 Web
Conference Reflection Wk 2
I attended
the web conference which was on 9.7.2013.
Dr. A was there early and speaking with a few students about grade
changes. Some terms such as Inclusion,
and RTI were briefly discussed. I am not
personally familiar with RTI, so that will be a new term that I learn this
week.
The main
topic of the web course was Dr. A going over any last minute questions
regarding week 2 and then looking over week 3, and answering any
questions. Dr. A also made mention of
the use of google docs for our group project, and emphasized making adequate
links to it so she and the IA’s could have access to it at a later date.
One of the
last things that Dr. A talked about was the week 3 group reflection, which
sounds a lot like the KWHL charts I was reading about in week 2. She had mentioned that she wanted this group
reflection to more of a conversation or dialog between the group members. I personally think that will be interesting,
and I am looking forward to seeing the outcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment