Saturday, September 14, 2013

EDLD 5364 Week 3 reading reflections


EDLD 5364 Week 3 Lesson Plan & Reflections

 

CAST’s UDL LESSON BUILDER

Lesson Overview

Title:
Biology Unit: Symbiotic relationships within the ecosystems.
Author:
Scott January
Subject:
Biology
Grade Level(s):
9th grade
Duration:
2 days
Subject Area:
Science
Unit Description:
Students will explore the biomes of the world and living and nonliving features that characterize individual biomes. Students will also explore limiting factors that may affect carrying capacity and distinguish between the various types of symbiotic relationships between ecosystems. As well as explore how organisms cycle energy and matter between one another and the environment. Students will also determine how succession can lead to ecosystem stability, how humans impact ecosystems, and how environmental change impacts ecosystems.
Lesson Description for Day:

State Standards:
B.2H, B.7E, B.12A, B.12B, B.12D

Goals

Unit Goals:

1.     Students will identify living and nonliving factors in an ecosystem.
2.     Students will distinguish between various types of symbiotic relationships.
3.     Students will determine how energy flows in an ecosystem.
4.     Students will discover what factors affect the stability of an ecosystem.
5.     Students will use various new technologies including: Glogster, Prezi

 

Lesson Goals:
Students will acquire an understanding of symbiotic relationships within an ecosystem.


Methods

Anticipatory Set:

Initiate and facilitate a discussion over the varying types of ecosystems, and the symbiotic relationships within them. Discuss symbiotic relationships that impact the ecosystems and determine if those relationships can be divided into different groups or categories.

Introduce and Model New Knowledge:

Show students a brief video on Symbiotic relationships within the ecosystems at:

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrWk2g-ImkE

 

Provide Guided Practice:

Have students divide into 2 groups.  Distribute two sets of ecosystem symbiotic relationship sort cards, 1 set to each group.  Have the groups compete in seeing how many correct symbiotic relationships the groups can correctly match. Afterwards, compile the data from the 2 groups and facilitate a discussion between the 2 groups about the exercise as well as data gathered from both groups.

 

 

Provide Independent Practice:

Students will complete a matching worksheet to review symbiotic relationships in ecosystems.

Adjustments/Modifications:

 

Assessment

Formative/Ongoing Assessment:

As an Instructor I will monitor the class progress and encourage higher thinking and discussion.
Summative/End Of Lesson Assessment:
For the end of lesson assessment, the students will have a project in which they will create a short video showing symbiotic relationships in slide format in regards to ecosystems.

Adjustments/Modifications:
Visual and Hearing impaired:

Materials


Teacher lecturn with computer and Internet access, mounted projector and audio system. Interactive whiteboard


Computer lab with Internet access

Symbiotic relationships within ecosystems sort cards (12 sets, laminated)

Symbiotic realtionships Worksheet


*Scope and Sequence and sort cards from the artist formely known as CSCOPE.*



UDL Lesson Reflection

This week’s assignments have been very challenging, and for me, creating the lesson plan was at the top of the list.  My role in my school is more of a support role, so I do not do a whole lot of creating lesson plans.  I will say that the UDL cast lesson builder was very straightforward and easy to use.  There wasn’t very much to the actual process once I had all of the information that I needed for the lesson.  I also found the UDL reading very informative.  I also found the UDL reading very helpful when I set out to put my lesson plan together in knowing what the needed components would be.  I am glad that I have learned the process, but it sure has been a long week for me.  This class has stretched me, but I know that I will benefit in the future.



 Week 3 Reading Reflections
Compared to all of the other weeks, I must say that week 3 has been the most hectic so far..  Even the reading assignments seemed very long in page length.  It seems that there was a lot to cover in a very short time.  Maybe it is because of the extra group work for the group projects that span this class.

I first watched a video about a new digital generation in learning.  The video itself was a bit campy, but it got its point across about crossing into the digital threshold.  When we crossed from analogue systems to digital systems, it did indeed create more options for the technology using it.  Because the video is older, it was cool to compare it to the here and now and see how far we have come technology wise in just a short time.


I then watched another video about a student who embraces technology and has become sort of a mentor to those around him.  I liked the fact that the student not only learned the new technology, but even started to teach his parents how to use it as well.  It would be interesting to see where he is now in his learning journey.


Another video that was part of our videos to be watched was about a boy named Cameron found ways to excel in learning by using video for visual learning.  He even created a green screen on the wall in his garage where he would spend countless hours creating visual effects to show his teachers and fellow classmates.  I enjoyed hearing the enthusiasm in his voice for using video to learn in new ways.  It does make me wonder with some of the above-mentioned stories as to how do they keep their momentum and not lose their passion for learning.  I have seen many with great gifts in using technology that have become stagnant over the years.


In exploring this week’s readings, the one that really grabbed my attention was “using technology for technology’s sake isn’t a good application of time or funding, and it is unlikely to improve student achievement” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2001, p. 217).  When I read this particular passage, I thought of all of horrible fad technology that I have been forced to support over the years, and the frustration that it has caused myself as well as instructors.


If any of you have ever had to use a Crestron room, then you know why the above quote rings so true.  Our school decided to buy this technology because at the push of a button, multiple things would happen at once – lights would dim, screen would lower and projector system would come on – sounds cool right?  Well, the ugly little secret to this magical classroom technology is that it costs 5 times as much to maintain, and when the system goes down, it takes the whole room hostage, and it is very temperamental. It did not take long for everyone to realize that this technology was not practical, and it hampered student learning because the devices in the room only worked part of the time, which would ruin a class (especially if the lights would not even come on).  These technologies were eventually replaced with more tradition and practical technologies that were not as flashy, but they worked every time that you used them.  Sometimes less really is more.



References

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2001). Using Technology with Classroom Instruction that Works. Denver Colorado: Mcrel.





Week 3 Web Conference Reflection

This week I attended the web conference on Saturday. I actually attended from my car on the way home from the college.  I had to teach a class and was able to pop in and catch most of the class. It is always good to check in and listen to questions from my classmates. Usually, one of them will ask a question that I already have, so I almost always wind up getting my answer before I can even ask the question. This particular web conference was hard for me to listen to because I found out that my group had put fourth way more work than was necessary.  If there was a silver lining to this I guess that it would be that I did learn a lot in the process of working myself to the near brink of death.  It was interesting to use the UDL lesson builder and ebook builder.  I was happy when I was able to complete both of those tasks.  Of course, Dr. A answered all of our questions, as well as offered some encouragement to those of us who were down trodden for lack of a better term.  Dr. A had mentioned that she was the 3rd or 4th person to teach this class, and that she was making changes to the assignments.  in spite of the beating that we took this week in regards to the ton of work that we completed, Dr. A did say that even though many of us had already done the work this week, she would be able to at least make weeks 4 and 5 a little less stressful, and I will be grateful any help in that area.


No comments:

Post a Comment