Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wk 3 Action Research Plan

Well I must say that it has been a buzz of activity in every direction.  I guess that the old saying is true that there is no rest for the weary.  I am usually with it as far as my studies go, however this one has given me a run for my money so to speak. Am I the only one? I certainly hope not, because misery loves company of course.  So without any further ado, here is my Action research draft - if that is what it is supposed to be. 

-->
Action Planning Template
Goal: to determine the feasibility of implementation of ipads in the classroom and benefits to faculty for instruction.

Action Steps(s):
Person(s) Responsible:
Timeline: Start/End
Needed Resources
Evaluation



Create survey to give to faculty at NW 101 committee meeting




Scott January


Coordinator of support services
March 2013/April 2013
Computer, Survey questions, phone,
meeting room, times for NW 101 meetings, meeting with Kirsten Cooper
Computer,
Spread sheet for data assessment
Analyze data from nw 101 meeting od instructor feedback
Scott January
March 2013/April 2013
Computer,
Survey data, phone, spread sheet software
Meet with Coordinator of support services and discuss survey data


Create survey to understand ipad technical support issues to give to NW tech department





Scott January


March 2013/April 2013
Computer, Survey questions,
Meeting location/room,
Network Administration & Coordinator Support Services
Spread sheet for data assessment
Analyze data from technical support survey
Scott January
April 2013/May 2013
Computer,
Survey data, phone, spread sheet software
Meet with Director of Network Administration & Coordinator Support Services to assess and discuss data from survey

Interview with Director of Network Administration to discuss network infrastructure for ipads, District Network Administrator






Scott January


May 2013/June 2013
Audio recorder, Interview questions, and time to meet with Director of Network Administration
Transcript of meeting using answers as data
Perform post interview data assessment
Scott January
June 2013/July 2013
Computer with audio monitors to transcribe interview, as well as word processing software
Transcript of meeting using answers as data to be stored on computer for later use in report


Meeting/interview with district ipad rep.









Scott January



May 2013

Audio recorder, Interview questions, phone/web conference,
and time to meet with rep.

Transcript of meeting using answers as data to be stored on computer for later use in report


Gain deeper understanding of topic by conducting various research mediums such as the internet, virtual library, magazine articles, news articles, scholar writings to discover existing research relating to action topic
Scott January
July 2013
Computer with internet,
library,
google scholar,
Various news and information websites.
Findings to be compiled into data report.

Engage in self reflection throughout this action research report by the use of internet blogs
Scott January
Weekly 2013/2014
Computer with internet that has access to blog site.

Frequently revisit blogs and reed them was well as evaluate comments by classmates and peers.
Explore any existing patterns concerning action research topic by analyzing data from surveys, interviews, as well as research data gathered from various internet and publication sources.
Scott January
August 2013/September 2013
Computer with internet, spread sheets containing data, as well as any other data collected.
Compile gathered information and compare to find patterns if any.
Determine direction based off of all data assessed as well as the exploration of any existing patterns
Scott January

Coordinator of Support Services

NW 101 Faculty Committee
September 2013/October 2013
Computer with internet, spread sheets containing data, as well as any other data collected, meeting room,
Meetings with NW 101 faculty committee, Director of Network Administration & Coordinator Support Services
Attend Technology Committee meeting and collaborate with Faculty, Administration, and Staff.
Take Action in making final decision concerning the implementation of ipads in the classroom for instruction
NW administration

Coordinator of Support Services

NW 101 Faculty Committee

NW instructional support

Scott January
September 2013/October 2013
Computer with internet, email, phone, spread sheets containing data, as well as any other data collected, feedback from NW 101 Faculty committee, as well as Coordinator Support Services, Director of Technology, and NW Administration
Collaborate with Faculty, Administration, and Staff as final decision is made.
Sustaining improvement by frequent evaluation and reflection of final decision implemented.
NW administration

Coordinator of Support Services

NW 101 Faculty Committee

NW instructional support

Per Semester
Computer with internet, email, phone, feedback from NW 101 Faculty committee, as well as Coordinator Support Services, Director of Technology, and NW Administration
Attend and participate in Technology Committee meetings and collaborate with Faculty, Administration, and Staff. Continued reflections as well as following various publications and articles.

I Used the 8 steps from Analysis to Action as my template.  Please let me know your thoughts and feedback.  It is always very much appreciated. 


             I spent a decent amount of time with my mentor, so I did not make any revisions. I did my best to incorporate the 8 steps into the plan as I put together the draft. My mentor was very pleased. I went ahead and responded to the 8 points below as a means to provide further information.
  1. Examining the work: Setting the Foundation
The introduction and implementation of this latest and, very popular technology piece (ipad) into the classroom will help to stimulate student involvement and interest as well as give them a first hand look at current technology that they could actually use in the workplace.  Faculty will be able to greater hold student attention in using technology that most students are very familiar with, and will inspire greater student participation.
  1. Analyzing data
The successful analyzing of data will be achieved by utilizing surveys and interviews, as well as collaborative discussions.  The combination of technical data, some qualitative data, as well as reflective data from veteran instructors will be essential.  Topic research data will also be included to ensure a clear direction.
  1. Developing deeper understanding
To achieve this, we will be researching the topic by reviewing scholar documents, blogs, news articles, journal articles, interviews, related information available from library resources, as well as the technical and budgetary aspects. This data will be cross-referenced with the surveys and interviews to gain a better prospective.
  1. Engaging in Self-Reflection
By using self-reflection, I can monitor my progress as well as receive feedback in the form of comments from my classmates and peers.  Just like the gages on a car, it will help me to make any corrections/adjustments that are necessary throughout the process.
  1. Exploring Programmatic Patterns
This will help identify trends, gaps, and conflicting data.
  1. Determining direction
By collaborating with the NW 101 faculty committee, the technology committee, as well as the coordinator of support services, it will provide a strong indication of what direction and action needs to be taken.
  1. Taking action for school improvement
By using the successful templates such as SIP and PIP as action guidelines, it should more than ensure a successful outcome.
  1. Sustaining improvement
Convergence and instructional technologies are moving at a blistering pace.  Action research can help how we identify areas for professional development as well as steer clear of technology fads.

22 comments:

  1. Scott, your action plan is very well thought out. Your plan is clear and detailed. I saw that you did indeed use all 8 steps. Will you be using I pads with your entire campus or a particular grade level? You will certainly be busy, as I noticed your research will take you all the way into the following school year. I look forward to following you and learning more about your plan. Great job and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided to focus on instructor use because I have more access to them than students, and being in higher ed, classes can have multiple grade level students attending.

      Delete
  2. Scott, will you or someone from administration be conducting any training on best practices for use of an iPad for students in the classroom for the teachers specifically? Even simple things like protocol for sign out/sign in of the iPads or scheduling of use, logistical stuff? Maybe even just the department chair or lead teachers from each subject/grade to discuss apps to start with for the teacheres to integrate in to their lessons/units. Is there going to be any oversight or monitoring of HOW the teachers will be using them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that training would either be conducted by instructional support, or the desktop support staff. I don't think that we would carry them for checkout, but give support if they acquire one. the instructors would be using them to teach classes - hooked up to our digital projection systems, instead of using a PC in the podium.

      Delete
  3. Great work Scott...I think that Stephanie has a great idea about trainings. It would be helpful for technology-phobic teachers to have some ideas on ways to integrate them and not look at as "something else" to do. My district is piloting a variety of tablets at a few schools and I am interested in your research...we can compare findings. Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love our topic and how organized you have everything! iPad technology in the classroom is on the up and up these days! I look forward to following your research throughout this process! I'm going to add your blog to my blog home page so that I can comment weekly! Feel free to do the same!
    http://edtechtalk411.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie's questions follow my line of thinking. You are studying the ease of implementation of iPad use in the classroom and determining the benefits. Exactly what parts of iPad use will you be implementing? Will you be conducting trainings? Will there be follow up trainings? Will there be any peer coaching sessions for those teachers who may need more up close and personal help to fully implement the use? Do you think using the 8 steps to analysis helped you to clearly express your plan of action?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ipads would be implemented for classroom presentation for instructors, and we (instructional support) would of course provide training to help instructors become better versed on the devices. Training will be provided every semester as a group, but for those that need more help, we are always happy to work with those individuals privately as much as they need. I do think that the 8 steps helped me break everything down to give the plan a more logical progression.

      Delete
  6. Your idea is great Scott. Every teacher in my district has an iPad to use. I allow my students to use it as well. HOwever, sadly enough, we have not received much training on the use of the iPads. Finally, 2 weeks ago they started offering some trainings. It helped some and I have another to attend the Monday we get back. I hope to learn more as I follow you through your research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice action research plan Scott, very detailed. You are right this week has given me a run too. But from your action plan you seem to have it all together. The implementation of iPads in the classroom is a good research. I know you'll be able to come up with good information for this topic. I look forward to following your research.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent topic for action research. I look forward to hearing the results. I find that students are more engaged with the use of Ipads, however it also seems to be a distraction in my school. I'm tired of students listening to music and on Facebook in the middle of class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not read other comments tonight...too tired, but I excited on your research. In topic category one, check spelling in box 2. I like that you added the tape recorder. I think I will add that one or have a teacher take notes from the meeting agenda as we do at leadership meetings. I also added the 8 steps in my action. Glad to see someone else did too. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scott, like you I am feeling very overwhelmed with this week! I am usually very together when it comes to school work, but this week has been pretty tough. Your plan looks great! I love that you detailed each and every step along the way. It has also given me some ideas for revision on my plan. As Stephanie mentioned, I would probably add in some sort of training for those tech-phobe teachers. I know I worked with a teacher last year who would be freaking out with the implementation of iPads! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scott, your plan looks great and very detailed. Your action research is definitely one that I'm interested in following, since not every classroom at my campus has iPads, so I'm very interested in how you will be implementing your plan. Just a question if I may, will you be selecting a specific grade level for your research or will this be a school wide project? Best of luck in your action research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My focus will be on the instructor use of the ipad, and I have selected a faculty committee so that I can have easy access to them all at once.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scott, as you can see I am burning the midnight oil. Your plan looks very thorough to me. You are utilizing many of the same info gathering devices that I am. Am I correct in thinking that you did not include training for teachers because you are going to implement your research at Tarrant County College and it would be up to the instructors to get training on their own through professional development workshops? That is the way it is done at ACC.
    I had Spring Fever so bad this week. I kept sitting down at my computer to start on this assignment but the sun and my Yorkie fur child, Rowdy, enticed me outdoors. :-)
    It seemed like week 3 of EDLD 5311 was hectic as well. When I whined to my daughter she told me "Mom week 3 is like midterm for you!" I never thought of it like that. Hopefully Week 4 and 5 will be smooth sailing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as training goes, instructional support staff will be always available to provide group and private training sessions. The instructors success equals the student success, and that is our goal.

      I so know what you mean about spring fever! uhg! I pressed through and managed to get a couple of days off, and it was much needed.

      Delete
  14. I think you are correct in stating that the use of technology (iPads) will increase student attention and learning. This is the way they learn today and the more we can implement this in classrooms, the more successful they'll be. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your action research plan is very detailed which is great. This will give you a great step-by-step guide while doing your study. This is an excellent choice to research because your students need 21st century skills to be successful after high school. I wish you luck and hopefully everything will be smooth sailing from this point on due to your detailed plan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scott, Thank you so much for your earlier comment. Your plan looks great and I'm glad you finally got a little bit of your spring break. I just posted my plan Sunday night. North Carolina doesn't have spring break until later in April and we had report cards due by Friday last week. If you get a chance to look at my plan, I could use the feedback. Also, our school purchased Chrome books for next year. Should I be concerned? It seems like everyone else is getting iPads. Maybe we could compare notes? Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Scott, the high school my daughter attends has provided the students with tablets, the only problem is that the teachers have not totally bought into using them in the classroom or gear any lessons to utilized them. I feel they can be excellent resources for the students. So I wish you much success and will be interested in following your findings.

    ReplyDelete