One of our tasks in
EDLD 5301 was to talk about how we ourselves have learned about action
research, and how we could use it.
What I have learned about action research is that it
is a very powerful tool to pose questions, collect data, analyze that
data, and come to a solution for a problem or the implementation of an idea.
I have also learned that successful action research involves collaboration
with others in your workplace who may also deal with an issue that has started
the action plan, or an idea that will also impact them in some way. Getting
that valuable input from your colleagues could be the determining factor in
your action plan’s success instead of going with the approach of using outside “expert”
help which usually overlooks the voices of other seasoned teachers and
administrators that are working directly with you. Another important thing that I have learned is
to take your time when doing your action plan.
Give yourself time to meet with others, conduct surveys and interviews,
collect valuable data, as well as taking the time to examine everything so that
the best decision can be made. Lastly,
another good thing to do in action research is to reflect on the outcome, talk
with all that been a part of the process and decide if the desired end result
was reached.
For my
action research plan, I have decided to explore the feasibility of
implementation of ipads in the classroom, and benefits to faculty for
instruction. I could use action research
in many ways. First, I can begin on the
ipad side and research how many schools are using the ipad, and what software
packages are available that would be a benefit for curriculum. Next, I could create surveys for the
instructors to give their valuable insight on the ipad and ask them questions
such as: do they want the option of using the ipad in the classroom? Do they think that using an ipad would
enhance their class? Would it be a
distraction or an enticement for the students?
Another part of action research that I could do would be to interview
the director of technology and look at the technical aspects of integrating the
ipad into the classroom. I would have to
ask such questions as: how would the ipad work with the existing technical infrastructure? What would be the costs? How much technical
support training would be necessary? How
secure would they be on our network?
In using
action research, I would have many ways of posing questions, collecting data,
and analyzing that data to come to a better understanding of the direction to
pursue.
Dana, N. F. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as action researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press
Dana, N. F. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge: The Principal as action researcher. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press
Scott, I like the idea for your action research plan. In my district, every teacher now has an iPad. I have been using it in my classroom and the students have really enjoyed it. However, I do not feel that I use it to it's fullest capacity, because I am still learning all about what it has/does/offers/etc. I am eager to follow you and see how your research unveils. I think you have made a great decision.
ReplyDeleteScott,
ReplyDeleteI'm doing a similar study, however, on our campus, we already have iPad carts being used throughout the building and district. I'm going to be studying their effectiveness in the classroom. If you would like, as part of your action research, maybe I could provide you with my data, and you can add some data from a school that has actually implemented the use of iPads. I could also provide you with the "process" we have put in place for a teacher to "check-out" the iPad carts for use in their classroom. Their are some pretty cool things we have set up, but also some pretty...well, silly things that they have set up. Let me know how I can help!